Saturday 27 October 2012

Yosemite Decimal Chapter 7: Teaser

The Chevy makes a sad noise but refuses to start.

This can’t be happening. I have a three-hour trip ahead of me on my own. I need the three-hour trip on my own. The truck keeps making its pathetic ruh-ruh-ruh sound.  I slap the steering wheel.

“Dammit!”

A tap on the window next to me causes me to almost jump out of my skin. The Bulldozer’s face is separated from mine by a pane of glass.

Needing both hands to do it, I wrench the winder. The window opens an inch.

“Problem?” he asks.

Duh. Obviously.

“My truck won’t start,” I reply redundantly. Any fool could see that my truck isn’t going anywhere right now.

“Come on.” He opens the door. “You can ride with me.”

My eyes widen as I consider the implications. Alone with the Bulldozer? For three hours?

Before I can respond, he retrieves my duffel bag from the bed of my double-crossing vehicle and heads over to his shiny silver SUV.

I sigh and know that I’m defeated. After locking my truck, I glare at the traitor. “You and I are going to have words when I get back.”

The Bulldozer stops. “Did you just talk to your truck?”

My head whips in his direction. “Of course not.”

“Uh huh,” he says, sounding unconvinced. He opens the trunk to his car and puts my bag in beside his.

I hoist my backpack over my shoulder as I walk toward his SUV. Shutting the trunk, he hurries to the passenger side, opening the door for me.

“Your chariot,” he says with a sweep of his hand. I roll my eyes and get into the car. He shuts the door with a smirk.

I take a deep breath as he walks around the front of the car. I have a quick sense of déjà vu, remembering the night he drove me to the hospital. Taking another deep breath, I inhale the scent of new car, leather, and the aroma I’ve come to associate with Edward.

He sinks easily into the car, slides on a pair of Ray Bans, and gives me a sidelong grin.

“Ready?”

“As I’ll ever be.”

How am I going to last three hours?

No comments:

Post a Comment