Friday 14 September 2012

Yosemite Decimal: Chapter 1 - Teaser




“Care to join us, Chalky? I can ask Laurent to hook you up with a harness if you don’t have one with you,” Emmett says.

I shake my head. “Thanks for the offer, Emmett, but I’m fried.” The burn is building in my forearms, and my legs are starting to feel like jelly. I need a hot bath. “I’m going to head home. I’ll catch you later in the week, though?”

He nods. “Definitely. This lot will likely be back in on Thursday. One of us can belay, if you’d like a real climb.”

It’s been a few weeks since I’ve had any form of elevation, so I nod my agreement before saying my goodbyes. In the locker rooms, I throw on my hoodie, leaving it unzipped, and stuff my climbing gear into my bag. As I walk towards the doors and pull them open, I’m thinking about a big bowl of leftover pasta for dinner. 

A whoosh of cold air hits me at the same time a solid wall of person does. Being the classy, coordinated kind of girl I am, I hit the ground with an expletive. My stuff scatters as I go sprawling.

“Can’t you at least watch where you walk?” a smooth voice snaps at me, as icy as the night air.

I’m about to return the sentiment when I look up into the greenest pair of eyes I’ve ever seen. These eyes are not only green, but cold—and they are shooting invisible daggers directly at me. 

___________________________



No comments:

Post a Comment